Re: "ls: File too large"

From: Valdis.Kletnieksat_private
Date: Wed Apr 24 2002 - 07:16:55 PDT

    On Tue, 23 Apr 2002 16:15:29 EDT, Tom Trelvik <tttat_private>  said:

    Did you login as yourself and then 'su'?  This would leave your original
    login shell still running, with all the implications (the biggest being
    that /home is still mounted, probably r/w, as you're doing this...)

    > # dhclient
    > # dd if=/dev/wd1a | nc -l <port#>

    This will take time..  Possibly a bunch of time...  And as a result,
    you're looking at the age-old problem of "taking a snapshot of a live
    filesystem".

    > # vnconfig -cv svnd0 home.wd1a.fs
    > # mount -o rdonly,noexec,nosuid /dev/svnd0c mnt_point/
    > # ls -l mnt_point/

    So at this point you're mounting something without benefit of an fsck,
    a bad idea even if it *wasnt* a live filesystem.  Even an 'fsck -n' would
    be a good idea at this point, just to be sure....

    > 	This worked fine on all but one partition, /home.  It would apear to

    Not surprising if you did an 'su'....

    > 	I thought maybe they'd been corrupted somehow, but I can mount the
    > partition and read them just fine on the original compromised
    > machine.  Trying to transfer the filesystems again gives the same results
    > reliably.

    I'm suspecting that what you're getting bit by is that the file system (and
    most notably your home directory) are changing while the dd/netcat are
    running - so things like .sh_history and so on are being created/etc.

    Try sticking a 'fsck' in between the vnconfig and mount, and see if that
    finds anything.

    --
    				Valdis Kletnieks
    				Computer Systems Senior Engineer