Re: "ls: File too large"

From: Dave Dittrich (dittrichat_private)
Date: Thu Apr 25 2002 - 21:06:31 PDT

    > ls: trelvik: File too large

    Let me guess.  The file is >2GB?  If so, this is simply because your
    file utilities are not compiled with large file (64 bit) support.
    Here are some notes I have on fixing things for Linux:

    Updates to Red Hat 7.1 system required to deal with large (>2GB)
    partition image files with The Coroner's Toolkit and TCTutils/autopsy.

    stat:
    	stat-2.5-2 (from rawhide)

    strings:
    	binutils-2.11.90.0.8-12.i386.rpm (from rawhide)
    	[requires libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.2.3)]
    		glibc-2.2.4-18.i686.rpm
    		glibc-common-2.2.4-18.i686.rpm
    		glibc-devel-2.2.4-18.i686.rpm

    	Workaround: Redirect I/O instead of open file ("strings <file"),
    	hack strings.c and bfd/bfd>*.h to handle "long long int" file
    	offsets.

    less:
    	less-358-21.i386.rpm (from rawhide)

    xxd:
    	vim-common-6.0-0.27
    	vim-enhanced-6.0-0.27
    	vim-minimal-6.0-0.27
    	vim-X11-6.0-0.27

    file:
    	(Reported to Bugzilla - no resolution as of 10/5/2001)
    	Workaround: use "file" from TCT instead

    TCT 1.08:
    	Recompile with "-D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64"

    TCT Utils 1.0:
    	Recompile with "-D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64"

    autopsy:
    	autopsy fails with "image file not found" due to Perl's -e
    	not being able to stat the large file properly, and
    	"Invalid block argument (positive numbers only)" due
    	to Red Hat's perl being compiled with 32 bit ints.

    	Workaround: Compile perl 5.6.1 from source with large
    	file support enabled and 64 bit ints.
    --
    Dave Dittrich                           Computing & Communications
    dittrichat_private             University Computing Services

    PGP key      http://staff.washington.edu/dittrich/pgpkey.txt