Re: Preserving evidence

From: crazytrain.com (subscribeat_private)
Date: Sat May 04 2002 - 13:49:29 PDT

    James

    this is where using a bootable data forensics cd would help you . . . have
    all your tools on the cd (or multiples), pop in the cd, make sure it's set
    to boot from CD-ROM first, and boot it from there.  You can then mount all
    the drives RO and work without touching the evidence.

    If this were a running RAID system and depending upon circumstances I would
    pop in my statically linked binariries CD, mount the CD, and do a 'safe
    analysis' on the running box from my trusted sources, logging as I go.
    There are many variables though, so it depends on your particular situation.

    farmerdude