RE: Desktop files enumerated in windows user.dat?

From: Burnette, Michael (MWB@rh-law.com)
Date: Thu May 09 2002 - 07:20:04 PDT

    I was able to figure out where the Windows desktop files are enumerated
    in the registry.  The reason I was unable to "find" them originally was
    that the standard Microsoft registry editing tools do not search
    REG_BINARY values but a hex or text editor would translate to ASCII.  I
    used regdat and was able to find the "directory" listing below in:

    HKCU

    .DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Streams\Desk
    top

    REG_BINARY Value = ViewView2

    There is a similar value for the Taskbar in the same subkey.  The
    filenames are separated by 17 bytes of binary.  Bytes 9-6 in that order
    make up the DOS file date.  Specifically, I have been testing using a
    Windows98 SE registry but on a cursory examination I see the same in my
    Windows 2000 registry.

    Michael Burnette
    Rogers & Hardin LLP
    Atlanta, GA