RE: Server with RAID-5

From: Artes, Francisco (franciscoat_private)
Date: Thu May 09 2002 - 08:21:22 PDT

    Business as normal.  Just image every single drive, make note of what drive
    went where in the RAID... etc.  Set all the SCSI id's on the duplicate
    drives to match the original drives after you image them. Make sure you put
    every duplicate drive into the RAID enclosure in the correct locations.
    (Remember there may be more then just one RAID-5 stripe set on those drives,
    there may be some mirrors of partitions making other virtual drives, etc.)

    The RAID may be SCA. (So no SCSI ID setting, except on the adapter you will
    use while duplicating.)  If this is the case your best bet is to get SCA to
    standard SCSI-II adapters, about $30 each at Fry's.  Then pop the drives
    into a linux box and DD one original to one duplicate.  I did the same thing
    for a case and it worked like a charm.  I bought two such adapters and just
    duplicated one drive at a time.  It may have been slower, but it limits the
    risk of making a mistake.. and is cheaper.  ;)

    -F