What do the following conditions lead you to believe?

From: boo boo ball (boo_boo_ballat_private)
Date: Fri May 17 2002 - 10:44:36 PDT

    I have a question.  Given the following conditions what would you think
    happened?

    Subject computer=MS NT Workstation 4.0 service pack 6a

    1. Several profiles under c:\winnt\profiles\ were accessed at 3 am, but not
    the profile of the user who was logged on at the time.

    2. The workstation is in a building where everyone is at home at that time.
    The user typically locks his/her account and leaves the computer on all
    night.

    3. When a user logs on an SMS batch job is also run and it shows the last
    entry in its logs being from the day before.  A user was logged onto the
    workstation when it was confiscated so it seems to indicate that the user
    was logged in a day before the odd 3 am access and a day afterwards as well
    without interruption due to power loss, or someone else logging on.

    4. Evidence was acquired with write blocks placed on the subject drive so
    the time stamps should be unaltered by the acquisition process.  The
    software used to acquire was Encase v3.9 and when the workstation was
    confiscated it was not shutdown gracefully but rather the power cord was
    unplugged.  It was hoped this would leave the workstation HD in a state
    equal to the state it was in when in use.

    5. The workstation had the local time settings set correctly.

    6. Other than Outlook, the user doesn't have programs running when they lock
    the workstation for the night.

    7. The workstation is behind a firewall without known direct connections to
    the Internet.

    My question is, does this actually mean anything?  Could it be that there's
    some file or program on MS NT systems that periodically look through the
    files under winnt\profiles\ and that's why the access times are showing
    access at 3 am?  Or, does all of this mean that someone had to have accessed
    the workstation and done some action which would cause the access time
    stamps to read a last access of 3 am?

    I'm not a MS wiz by any means having spent most of my time on *nix boxen so
    am not completely familiar with the programs NT runs.  Do the standard MS NT
    programs periodically access the files in /winnt/profiles of the profiles
    not logged on at that time?