RE: DD -> Netcat NT Imaging

From: Estes, Matt CPR / FCBS (Matt.Estesat_private)
Date: Fri May 31 2002 - 11:46:50 PDT

    Yes.  I imaged a couple gigs of data from Win2000 NTFS to my linux box (on a
    second hard drive).  I reviewed a couple of samples from both drives using
    "dd if=\dev\hdb1 count=100 | hexdump" .  That's when I thought I noticed the
    byte swap.... wait? MAYBE NOT?!

    It is likely the default "hexdump" output on linux was swapping the bytes
    and the "conv=swab" argument is unnecessary.  I wrote a new format file to
    use with hexdump:

    "%07.7_Ax\n"
    "%07.7_Ax	" 16/1 "%02x " "\n"

    compared with the default that swapped bytes (takes in two-byte chunks):

    "%07.7_Ax\n"
    "%07.7_Ax	" 8/2 "%04x " "\n"

    It seems to work great WITHOUT the "conv=swab" argument.

    Matt