DD -> Netcat NT Imaging

From: Estes, Matt CPR / FCBS (Matt.Estesat_private)
Date: Fri May 31 2002 - 09:32:37 PDT

    Just wanted to know the forensics comments for doing the following.  The
    practical applications are amazing (and free), but maybe I'm just catching
    up
    with the norm.

    Run "nc -l -p 4000 | dd of=/dev/hdb1 bs=512 conv=swab" to setup a netcat
    server piping to hdb1 partition on my linux box.

    Run "dd.exe if=\\.\C: bs=512 | nc.exe a.b.c.d 4000" on my Win 2000 box.

    swab option was necessary because somewhere along the way the bytes were
    swapped (network ordering? compiler differences with nc.exe?).

    Instant bit copy of the partition across the network... and no annoying
    overhead.  I believe this would work as live imaging of harddrives for
    analysis (comments appreciated).  But, it's also a  network drive imaging
    system that fits on a floppy and works between OS's.

    Matt