Re: Imaging a "live" system

From: Jesse Kornblum (jesse.kornblumat_private)
Date: Tue Jun 18 2002 - 07:06:15 PDT

    H C wrote:

    > I'm still not all that clear on _why_ you'd ever want to perform
    > imaging of a "live" system. I can see why one would want to collect
    > volatile data from the system, and then perhaps (based on decisions
    > made regarding the situation) move on to disconnecting the system, and
    > then imaging the drive.

    Some examples:

    - The computer has an encrypted file system, such as PGPdisk or Windows
    EFS, currently mounted. If the computer is shut down, an attempt to
    image it will only capture the encrypted data, not the true contents of
    the files. Without the passphrase, PGPdisk and EFS can create
    significant obstacles.
    - You're not allowed to shutdown the computer, even for a short period
    of time (e.g. the system has been damaged to the point where a reboot is
    not possible. Perhaps the attacker ran "rm -rf /etc/*" on the box)
    - Rebooting the machine may alert an intruder that somebody has noticed
    what they're doing. (e.g. If a server has been running for a 100 days
    and is suddenly rebooted without warning or explanation, it may appear
    suspicious.)

    --
    SA Jesse Kornblum
    Chief, Research and Development