RE: Imaging a "live" system

From: H C (keydet89at_private)
Date: Wed Jun 19 2002 - 03:53:17 PDT

    Matt,

    > Say you scan a production machine that costs $ for
    > every minute of downtime,
    > it has an extra port open or shows signs of a
    > certain signature (odd
    > external connections, IRC attempts, etc.)  If you
    > had aware staff, before
    > mucking around significantly (like a typical admin),
    > you could run
    > fport/handle/netstat/lsof and then image the drive.

    I still don't see the need for or use of "live"
    imaging.  Understand...I'm not trying to be difficult
    here, just trying to wrap my neurons around this one.

    Say I have a production server that costs $$K per
    minute of downtime, and there is reportedly "strange"
    activity coming from the box.  I'm going to run the
    tools you mentioned (add listdlls.exe and pslist.exe
    for NT/2K boxen) and perhaps make a decision based on
    that info.

    If it's a bot loaded on the system, I'd likely take it
    off, and then try to find out where it came from and
    how it got on the box in the first place (assuming
    I've got my auditing configured appropriately).  Many
    managers may not be interested in prosecuting...they'd
    want the box back.

    If I did find enough information to indicate that
    taking the system down is justified, then that's a
    different matter.  At that point, we're talking high
    dollar, and probably contacting a consulting firm that
    is trusted to do forensics analysis.  LEOs may not be
    called, even at this point.

    In many of the cases I've personally seen, the FBI was
    contacted by the admin, who never told his manager
    that he'd called them...

    But still...I don't see what the point of having a
    "live" image is.  Sure, you've got a "snapshot" of the
    drive...if you can call it that.  But what good is
    that?  Seems to me that it's a waste of a drive, and
    of time...however long it took you to actually make
    the image.

    > * Hackers rarely stay put,

    This one is another topic/thread all together, I
    think.  I've talked to a great many people who have
    hundreds or thousands of NT/2K systems they're
    responsible for (Quantico NOC, etc), and outside of
    web page defacings and possibly exploited FTP systems,
    it doesn't seem as if anyone is seeing NT/2K "rooted",
    in the sense that a Linux box is "rooted".  There
    doesn't seem to be anyone reporting "hackers" camping
    out on NT/2K systems, launching attacks on neighboring
    systems, trojaning binaries, installing rootkits, etc.

    > As far as collecting unused drives, that's why I'm
    > on this list... to find
    > easier and faster ways to do IR and move faster than
    > the hacker.

    I think there are ways of doing this, possibly even in
    such a way that a box could then be turned over to the
    LEOs for analysis, and a conviction obtained.  That's
    what I'm trying to discuss both here, and in the Yahoo
    group that was started, to discuss "evidence
    dynamics".

    Carv