Gathering data and documentation; was => RE: Imaging a "live" system

From: H C (keydet89at_private)
Date: Wed Jun 19 2002 - 06:04:19 PDT

    > > Second, no one really wants to do all the
    repetitive
    > > documenting of their actions...they'd rather just
    > > get on with it.
    >
    > BAD idea.  I am no forensics expert, but I would say
    > documenting the actions of the examiner should be
    key
    > so it can be shown that the examiner did not alter
    the
    > system.

    Like I said...no one wants to do this, even though
    most of the available forensics methodologies state
    that this should be done.  Agreed, it *is* a bad idea
    not to do this, but I've seen many self-proclaimed
    "experts" conduct an "investigation" without a shred
    of documentation.

    > How about keeping a ledger of all commands used and
    > using a few tools from read-only media to gather
    state
    > info and pipe the output to floppy.

    Here's what I had in mind:

    Kevin Mandia wrote an article that appeared in a
    short-lived magazine (a single issue) that addressed
    using netcat to pipe information off of the "victim"
    system, and storing it on a forensics workstation.
    The commands used are similar to what was mentioned
    earlier in the thread (using tools burned to a CD):

    [forensics workstation]
    c:\>nc -L -p 7070 > mydata.log

    [victim system]
    d:\>fport | nc 192.168.0.1 7070

    Now...there are a couple of problems with this.
    First, the command prompt on the victim system doesn't
    automatically return...you have to hit Control C after
     few seconds.  What happens if you're using a command
    that takes longer than a second or two...like a 'dir'
    command with '/s'?

    Another obstacle is documenting all this as you go
    along.  While trained forensics analysts are paid to
    do this sort of thing, most admins simply do NOT want
    to.  I met an admin that imaged almost every drive he
    came across...I'm not kidding...but didn't have a
    shred of documentation about the original drives.  Not
    even the command he used or software version for
    making the image.

    So then I thought...what if there were a software app
    that allowed the admin/incident handler to get info
    off of the "victim" system and onto a forensics
    workstation via a socket, but did everything
    automatically?  The app wouldn't be fully automatic,
    of course...the admin would have to select the files
    he wanted to copy, for example.  But once he did, the
    app would handle documenting the entire process.

    Say the admin wanted to copy two or three dozen files
    from the system for examination.  Instead of having to
    document and type the commands for computing hashes,
    copying files, and then verifying hashes...the app
    could handle all that.  The app would even collect MAC
    times, owner, permissions/ACLs, etc, prior to copying
    the file.  Once the file was copied, hashes would be
    verified and documented.

    Say the admin wanted to run a series of external,
    third party tools (pslist, handle, fport, etc) or even
    native tools that she'd copied to the CD (netstat).
    She could create a list of those programs in the GUI,
    and the app would then document and execute each
    command, sending the output to the forensics
    workstation for storage, and later analysis.

    This is exactly the project I'm working on.

    http://patriot.net/~carvdawg/fsproj.html

    I've got some of the base code completed, and I'm
    currently adding functionality.  I've already
    completed and distributed tools that can be used on
    the server (procdmp) as well as on the client (or
    'victim' system):

    http://patriot.net/~carvdawg/perl.html

    I'm focusing on Win32 systems, and others have
    expressed an interest in Linux/*nix systems.

    Carv