Shell Session Monitoring with Modified Script Utility

From: Ryan Barnett (RCBarnettat_private)
Date: Fri Jul 26 2002 - 15:37:18 PDT

    I just posted this on the Honeypot Mail-list, but I thought it would be
    relevant here as well.  The paper that I wrote highlights using a modified
    version of the normal Unix Script utility to capture Blackhat shell
    sessions on honeypots and forward the data to a remote host.  While the
    use of this technique for honeypots is obvious, I would like to mention
    another use which would be relevant for a Forensic Investigator.  This
    technique can be used (I have used it in an actual investigation) when
    responding to a live compromise.  After all appropriate fornesic steps
    have been completed (IE- Live Incident Investigation, Imaging Disks,
    etc...) and it has been decided that the system will be kept online, you
    can implement this technique to continue to monitor the activities of the
    malicious user.  Anyways, here is my original post to the honeypot list -

    Due to the continued questions about shell monitoring options and
    alternatives (besides BASH patches, TTY-Snoop and Remote Syslog), I
    thought I would post this info.

    I have come up with a method of shell session monitoring by using a
    modified version of the standard unix "script" utility.  Instead of going
    into any details here on the list - I will simply give you all a link to
    my paper.

    http://mywebpages.comcast.net/rbarnett45/ryan_barnett_gcfa/ryan_barnett_gcf
    a_practical.html

    This is a link to my SANS Forensic Analyst (GCFA) Practical Assignment on
    my Comcast webpage.  The paper is not available on the SANS website yet
    since I still have to take the final tests to be certified - then they
    will post this paper.  Actually, I am the first person to have my
    Practical accepted for this brand new Certification, and SANS doesn't have
    the tests ready yet ;)

    Anyways, Please give my paper a read and let me know your thoughts, or
    recommendations for change.  Hopefully, many people will be able to use
    this technique and gain some good Blackhat shell info to share.

    Ryan C. Barnett
    Senior Security Analyst
    SANS - GCIH, GCUX, GSEC