Re: Tools to examine a Novell Netware volume?

From: De Velopment (develat_private)
Date: Mon Jul 29 2002 - 20:33:48 PDT

    Hello Brent,

    On Mon, 29 Jul 2002, Brent Deterding wrote:

    > Are there any forensic tools available that recognize and can operate on a
    > Novell Netware volume? I have a dd image on a linux host that fdisk
    > identifies as "Novell Netware 386" (id 65). Many thanks!

       There is a package available to mount a Netware file system under Linux:

       	http://www.timpanogas.com/nwfs_m2fs.html

       I used NWFS a few years ago to help convert a non-profit organization
    from Netware to Samba under Linux.  The reason I needed it was that our
    time ran out prematurely when their Netware server died a horrible death
    due to the primary hard drive (with the Netware programs on it)
    freezing up.  The second hard drive, with the customer data on
    it, was still fine.  Using NWFS, I was able to install this hard
    drive into a Linux server and retrieve all of the customer files
    without the need to ever bring up Netware again.

    > Brent Deterding
    > GSEC, GCFW, GCIA, GCIH, RHCE
    > Security Engineer
    > TechGuard Security