Re: Linux Swap Partitions

From: Knut Eckstein (knutat_private)
Date: Tue Jul 30 2002 - 15:57:59 PDT

    Rick,

    saliskorat_private wrote:
    > If there is value in mounting and analysing, is there a particular -t
    > parameter for mounting a swap file system? What should I be looking for
    > once i get it mounted ?

    the trick is, don't mount, just grep :-) You just can't mount a swap
    partition, so you have to search through the image file ...

    For an excellent example of what to look for in a swap partition, see
    Thomas Roessler's winning entry of the honeynet project's forensic
    challenge, esp page 8:
    http://project.honeynet.org/challenge/results/submissions/roessler/evidence.txt

    By issueing a command like

    strings < swap-image.dd | grep -A3 'Nov '

    he found very interesting syslog entries from the month November that were
    never written to the logfiles on disk, because syslogd had already been already
    disabled by the attacker. The entries had been "set up" in the process memory of
    several daemons prior to calling syslog(3). Later that memory regions were paged
    out to the swap partition, that's why the entries appear in the image of the swap
    partition.

    Best regards,

    Knut