Re: need further help with break in

From: Seth Arnold (sarnoldat_private)
Date: Thu Aug 01 2002 - 11:02:47 PDT

    On Thu, Aug 01, 2002 at 04:42:38PM +0200, Ingram wrote:
    > I think 'slogin' is the most interessting, or? And what sense can it
    > make to modify 'newaliases'?

    On my system, newaliases, mailq, etc, are symlinks to the sendmail
    binary. (I had expected them to be hardlinks, but maybe I just misrecall
    how sendmail handles its various programs.)

    Modify one, the rest change too.

    > I expected to find trojaned ps, netstat, etc. but nothing. Hmm maybe the
    > attacker did _not_ use a rootkit (strange?) or he has used some exotic
    > one.

    No real need; the modified programs are all programs you might expect to
    see running anyway...

    --
    http://www.wirex.com/