Re: need further help with break in

From: De Velopment (develat_private)
Date: Thu Aug 01 2002 - 11:15:47 PDT

    Hello,

       I just want to add one thing to what has already been said.

    On Mon, 29 Jul 2002, Ingram wrote (in part):

    > after i´ve seen that i (*maybeafailure*) stopped this to services with
    > 'kill' and
    > halted the machine.

       <and>

    > 3) My forensic...
    > I turned power off, and put the harddisk into my develop box, mounting
    > it
    > read-only.
    > laboratory# mount -o ro /dev/ad1s4 /mnt

       I wouldn't immediately halt and then power off the machine.  The
    correct procedure, in my opinion, is to yank the ethernet cord out of
    the back of the box.  If the Script Kiddie is still logged on to the
    machine (as he was, in the case of a Redhat box of mine that was "owned"
    a year and a half ago), his environment is still active:  You can see
    what commands he had going, and, from his point of view, his connection
    just mysteriously dropped.  (In other words, he wouldn't have a chance
    to clean up after himself like he might if he saw you killing his
    processes or something like that).

       Best regards,

    	Ken Parker (develat_private)