Handling, possibly, encrypted data

From: kontoudisat_private
Date: Mon Aug 12 2002 - 22:57:48 PDT

    Hi all,

    I am not into the forensic business, just like the subject and
    read a bit on it. I have this issue that I would appreciate your input on.
    Say you
    image a hard disk and, then, proceed to analyze the copy in
    order to produce evidence. If the files on the image are obvious
    (like .doc and stuff) then you may be in a good place. But what
    happens when you discover a chunk of binary data (a binary
    file or something) ? How can you determine the file type and,
    furthermore, how do you conclude that this file is encrypted
    (if it is) ?

    Are there any tools that can do this analysis and, maybe, try out
    a decryption process ?

    Regards,
    Dimitris.