Re: Handling, possibly, encrypted data

From: Stephen Samuel (samuelat_private)
Date: Wed Aug 14 2002 - 11:42:42 PDT

    Both encrypted and compressed files tend to have low entropy (which
    leads to uncompressability). The difference being that compressed
    files usually have a header which identifies them as such and often
    even describing the type of compression.
       Some encrypted files also have some sort of signature at the beginning
    (presuming you're not trying to hide the fact of encryption).

    Use of the 'file' utility can help identify most compressed (and some
    encrypted) files.  If a file doesn't have any known signatures and
    is also uncompressable, then you might have a good chance of it being
    encrypted.

    The Cygwin utilities ( http://www.cygwin.com/ ) give you access to
    many UNIX utilities (like 'file') under windows, if you have to run
    your machine under that OS.

    Jeroen Latour wrote:
     > At 07:57 13-8-2002 +0200, kontoudisat_private wrote:
     > The UNIX command 'file' can often tell you a lot about the file, even if
     > it's a Windows-file. I'm not sure if any equivalent programs exist on
     > the Windows platform.
     >
     > As for determining if a file is encrypted: one of the characteristics of
     > a good encryption algorithm is that the output can not be compressed
    Stephen Samuel +1(604)876-0426                samuelat_private
    		   http://www.bcgreen.com/~samuel/
    Powerful committed communication, reaching through fear, uncertainty and
    doubt to touch the jewel within each person and bring it to life.