RE: blowfish cryptographic hash function

From: Jonathan A. Zdziarski (jonathanat_private)
Date: Thu Aug 15 2002 - 12:17:55 PDT

    I'm not certain I understand the benefits of using blowfish for a
    hashing algorithm.  The primary purpose of a hashing algorithm (in the
    security realm) is to provide a one-way mechanism to allow information
    to be validated without actually having to have that information.  With
    that said, blowfish being a two-way cryptographic protocol, it doesn't
    seem to be that it would feasable as a hashing algorithm, as the
    information can be decrypted either voluntarily or by cryptanalysis.
    Given, one-way functions can be cracked with brute force, however
    finding the original hashed string is very unlikely and I would imagine
    blowfish hashes would be more open to plain text attacks and the like.