RE: blowfish cryptographic hash function

From: Jonathan A. Zdziarski (jonathanat_private)
Date: Thu Aug 15 2002 - 12:53:36 PDT

    Schneier didn't specify whether or not he felt this was a good or bad
    method, and makes a few interesting points about this method as well.
    I'll go ahead and assume you're not using a fixed key for all your
    hashes as that would be ludicrous.  My chicken scratch below...

    The only real secure way to do this includes use of the previous hash
    value as the input.  If you're going to be performing a significant
    number of hashes, this may be secure so long as all the hashes
    collectively are not being used for the same purpose or are presented in
    the same order (otherwise one would have plenty of plaintext and
    ciphertext to work with in finding the key).  On top of this, using
    previous hash values for text means that if I want to verify the hash, I
    have to have the previous hash value used.  If I encrypt the same
    message 1000 times, the only way to insure they will have the same
    result is to use the same plain text.  Will you be including the
    previous hash value used with the hash value?  If so, is blowfish secure
    enough to where you can't derive the key from the value with a
    reasonable brute force attack?  I've no idea.

    Schneier also mentioned differential cryptanalysis is easier with a
    symmetric algorithm on hashing than actual encryption.  Do you foresee
    the ability to predict patterns in ciphertext pairs (used in the key, of
    course) based on the encrypted hash value, to obtain the correct key?

    Also, since the key is the message to be encrypted (I assume), do you
    see any issues with the key length, processing power, etc.?

    In all likelihood you'll have a really long key and a really short plain
    text to encrypt with it (if the message is indeed the key).  Do you
    foresee any loss/collissions as a result of having a shorter key?  Will
    this method be too easy to crack with short keys, or too difficult to
    keep unique with long keys?

    I'm not against using a symmetric algorithm for hashing, but I am
    conerned about the surrounding details and the security of the key.  I'm
    also by no means a crypto-expert, so forgive me if I sound skeptical..it
    just seems a bit confusing why anyone would want to use it when there
    are plenty of good one-way hashing algorithms out there.