RE: blowfish cryptographic hash function

From: James Davis (james.davis@st-peters.oxford.ac.uk)
Date: Thu Aug 15 2002 - 13:07:53 PDT

    On Thu, 15 Aug 2002, Jonathan A. Zdziarski wrote:

    > If so, is blowfish secure enough to where you can't derive the key from
    > the value with a reasonable brute force attack?  I've no idea.

    I don't know, like the text says the hash function can only be as secure
    as the cryptographic algorithm that you are using.

    > Also, since the key is the message to be encrypted (I assume), do you
    > see any issues with the key length, processing power, etc.?

    I haven't thought about this so I don't know.

    > In all likelihood you'll have a really long key and a really short plain
    > text to encrypt with it (if the message is indeed the key).  Do you
    > foresee any loss/collissions as a result of having a shorter key?  Will
    > this method be too easy to crack with short keys, or too difficult to
    > keep unique with long keys?

    I haven't thought about this either, and I don't know.

    > I'm not against using a symmetric algorithm for hashing, but I am
    > conerned about the surrounding details and the security of the key.  I'm
    > also by no means a crypto-expert, so forgive me if I sound skeptical..it
    > just seems a bit confusing why anyone would want to use it when there
    > are plenty of good one-way hashing algorithms out there.

    I'm not expecting other people to want to use it for real work, it's just
    something that I wanted to have a go out after reading about the
    algorithms in "Applied Cryptography". Don't worry about sounding
    skeptical, I'm no expert either and haven't thought a lot of it through
    either as you can see.

    James

    --
    James Davis           \        james.davis@st-peters.ox.ac.uk