RE: Question about brute forcing EFS...

From: Schmidt, Raemarie (rschmidtat_private)
Date: Sun Sep 15 2002 - 12:16:50 PDT

    Eoghan and Ed,

    In Windows 2000, the user's password was not used to protect the EFS
    certificate and private key.  As a result, resetting a  password outside of
    the operating system using something like ntpasswd allowed logging in as the
    user with the new password, and gaining access to the EFS encrypted files
    (assuming the private key had not been exported and deleted from the
    system).

    It is my understanding that in Windows XP Pro the user's password IS used to
    protect the EFS certificate and private key.  As a result, resetting a
    password outside of the operating system will NOT allow access to the EFS
    encrypted files.  One solution for XP would be to reset the administrators
    password, login as the administrator, and then run LC3 on the SAM to recover
    the password of the user.  One could then login as the user using the
    appropriate password.  Note that this should always be done on a duplicate
    image of the drive, and never on the original as it will require
    installation of LC3.

    Regards,

    Raemarie Schmidt
    NW3C