Question about brute forcing EFS...

From: Ed Moyle (emoyleat_private)
Date: Thu Sep 12 2002 - 09:44:13 PDT

    Good afternoon,

    I have noticed several articles recently in various literature highlighting the usefulness of brute-forcing Microsoft EFS in situations where it is used on a disk that is undergoing examination.  I am curious:  why is the SOP to brute-force the EFS data (a laborous and time-consuming procedure) when mechanisms exist in most situations (75-90%) to go *around* EFS entirely to view the data (a 5 minute procedure)?  I would think that this would reduce the effort associated with these investigations by a large proportion.

    Regards,
    -Ed