Re: Was the HD formatted? (under Win95)

From: Robert Goto (goto1at_private)
Date: Thu Oct 10 2002 - 07:39:47 PDT

    I believe it is possible to tell when a hard drive was formatted under
    Windows 95 by running the 'vol' command and looking at the volume serial
    number.  We looked into this a while back and the volume serial number
    appears to represent some kind of offset fro a given point in time.  We
    tested this by changing the time on our systems and formatting disks.  It
    changes and there is a pattern. Is there any one out there who has figured
    this one out?