Re: Was the HD formatted? (under Win95)

From: Ryan Yagatich (ryanyat_private)
Date: Thu Oct 10 2002 - 11:32:12 PDT

    This statement is correct, the serial number _is_ generated based on the
    current date/time and as far as i remember its up to the millisecond. If
    the user used the format utility that comes standard with the ms product
    it will automatically change the serial number to match the date/time on
    the system...

    This of course isn't the only method in determining whether the disk was
    formatted or not because there are some pittfalls:
    	1) the user could have set the time back on the system to an
    estimated time/date that the drive was initially formatted (based on the
    creation date of core system files/folders
    	2) the user could have used another tool to generate a serial
    number for the disk to match what is currently in place

    With that in mind, you would have to resort back to identifying the
    structure of the disk by looking at the order of bits (this has all been
    previously mentioned....)

    	Both methods can't be used alone, but when used together they can
    really turn some information around.....

    	So, what would I do?
    	1) examine the order of bits on the drive to see if it _could_
    have been formatted, or defragmented.
    	2) check the volume serial number on the disk against the
    dates/times of some files that _should_ have been there when it was
    installed.
    		-note-
    		if the system was mounted as a slave device, some core
    system files may never even have been present to begin with, but after the
    'undelete' of the files on the filesystem you can actually verify the
    times on the files vs the serial number on the disk to find out if they
    were created before or after the format.

    just a couple of ideas that could potentially be way off topic, but that
    happens sometimes....

    Thanks,
    Ryan Yagatich  <supportat_private>
            Pantek, Incorporated