Re: Was the HD formatted? (under Win95)

From: Alaric Darconville (alaricat_private)
Date: Thu Oct 10 2002 - 08:38:23 PDT

    The volume serial number IS derived from the system clock-- but there is
    no way to reverse that.  The scheme was developed so that the OS could
    track diskette changes and prevent data corruption.  The algorithm results
    in a fair enough approximation to randomization that it would long odds
    indeed that two people would share a volume serial number-- unless one
    used a tool to modify that number.

    Compare it to dipping a paintbrush into a paint bucket, then flinging the
    paint on the wall.  You might be able to predict where the paint would go,
    knowing the position of every bristle and every other factor involved
    (temperature, speed at which the brush was flicked, etc), but just seeing
    the paint spatter, it would be virtually impossible to figure out the
    position of the bristles, etc.  Conceivably, there would be many
    parameters that could exist that result in the same pattern.

    Attempting to use the volume serial number in this way would be
    unproductive.

    Alaric

    "Robert Goto" <goto1at_private> spilled coffee on his keyboard, the
    resulting short circuits resulted in: