Re: Time stamping securely

From: Darwin Gregory (dgregoryat_private)
Date: Mon Oct 14 2002 - 06:41:05 PDT

    Paul Gillingwater said:

    > First, there should be a timestamp server, which upon request, will
    > generate a strong hash using its private key of the current time.  This
    > can then be incorporated into a data set's signature.
    <SNIP>
    > Therefore, the second half of the transaction should consist of sending
    > the signature that we create BACK to the timeserver, which will then
    > sign it and store it securely.

    How would this process be enhanced or diminished by skipping communication
    steps?
    1) Digitally sign file.

    2) Send signature to trusted server (not significantly more difficult than
    asking for a trusted time stamp in advance).
    3) Retrieve 'co-signed' signature from trusted server (which could archive
    info as well)
    This should prove, as well as any other method, that a file existed before
    a certain time without sharing the contents of the file.