Re: Future trends in computer forensics

From: James.Holleyat_private
Date: Fri Oct 18 2002 - 07:49:48 PDT

    Rod,

    Other things I think you should consider addressing in the interview,
    besides encryption, include:

    Standards and certification of people, processes and technologies: We
    currently have a hodge podge of certifications out there. Some are focused
    only on a specific tool set. Some are focused on a particular methodology.
    Some are open only to a certain subset of practitioners. Some are nothing
    more than a marketing gimmick to sell more of a particular tool,
    methodology or training. As we move into the future, a recognized
    certification and accreditation body like the American Society of Crime
    Lab Directors or NIST or some other body should promulgate a formal
    certification and accreditation methodology for people, processes and
    technologies in this discipline. I see you are in Germany. How about
    International standards? Since the courts and laws in different countries
    are so varied, can there really be an International Standard for Computer
    Forensics? If you take the abstract standards that apply in every
    jurisdiction (least common denominator), are they really rigorous enough
    for any particular jurisdiction?

    The specification of a certification process for people, processes and
    technologies, while being controlled by an entity recognized by everyone
    in the discipline, should not be closed to any subset of practitioners.
    Here in the States, NIST is making some small headway in a tool set
    specification, but have only addressed an imaging specification and have
    not allowed open participation by our community. And the process is
    terribly slow. They just recently (Aug 02) published tests of a specific
    imaging tool (dd from file utils version 4.0.16) using their imaging
    specification to craft test cases. But those tests were accomplished
    almost a year ago. Not only that, the version of file utils tested
    (4.0.16) was superceded in April 01 with version 4.1. This is something
    our community must deal with. Getting test results in Aug 02 for a tool
    that was superceded by a newer version in April 01 is not going to keep
    our practitioners on the cutting edge.

    We need a standard set of definitions. Anyone with a new marketing idea
    can put his or her spin on our terms. That is unacceptable. Some
    practitioners think of Computer Forensics as a very focused set of tasks
    involved primarily in what I call Media Analysis. I believe Computer
    Forensics, as an overarching discipline, has many specialized
    sub-disciplines, including media analysis, imagery enhancement, audio and
    video enhancement, database visualization, and more. But others may not
    agree. We have no standardized dictionary. My version of Computer
    Forensics is just as valid as any one else's. And mine may not actually be
    the most appropriate.

    I also think there is a big difference between an "investigative" tool and
    a "forensic" tool. To me, the term "forensic" has a very clear meaning in
    the context of computer investigations (back to the dictionary again). For
    me, part of what makes something "forensically" sound is repeatability. If
    I image a hard drive today, and image it tomorrow, and image it again
    using a forensically sound methodology and a "forensic" toolset, the
    results will not vary. But imaging a live system is not repeatable in
    relation to the output. I cannot image it today, and image it tomorrow,
    and image it again the next day and get the exact same results. From an
    investigative standpoint, I may very well learn something valuable and
    useful, but it is not a "forensic" process. So there again we get to the
    need for definitions. What is a "forensic" tool? What characteristics
    should a forensic tool have that make it separate and distinct from an
    investigative tool?

    Ok. Now to more mundane things. How about portable devices? They are
    ubiquitous. We need tools that can talk to a wide range of devices. My
    cell phone is also a Palm Pilot. Soon, the cell phone will also be a
    pager, a phone and a computer (vice a mere PDA).

    File system and operating system security and privacy utilities are now an
    issue for investigators. As are enterprise environments. The standalone PC
    is nearly history. Almost every PC gets connected to a network via NIC or
    Modem these days. So investigators must have more training in networking,
    including network traffic routing hardware and software.

    And how about collecting data from Intrusion Detection Systems using a
    methodology that will get the data in court. That is a good topic for
    discussion. How the system is implemented/deployed can have a tremendous
    impact on the viability of any data or evidence an investigator can
    collect.

    Well, I'm rambling on now. So I'll quit. I could write about this topic
    all day.

    James

    ===============================

    James O. Holley
    Ernst & Young
    Litigation Advisory Services &
    Computer Forensic Services
    http://litigation.ey.com

    Office:   703.747.1059
    Fax:       703.747.0104
    Lab:       703.747.0253
    Pager:    888.620.5275
    Pager email: 6205275 "AT" skytel.com

    The information contained in this message may be privileged and confidential and protected from disclosure.  If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, or an employee or agent responsible for delivering this message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by replying to the message and deleting it from your computer.  Thank you.  Ernst & Young LLP