RE: Future trends in computer forensics

From: Ralph S. Hoefelmeyer (ralph.hoefelmeyerat_private)
Date: Fri Oct 18 2002 - 09:51:55 PDT

    I'll chime in here - forensics has historically been applied in a legal
    sense, which is slow, geared toward "beyond a reasonable doubt".  In the
    real world of business and intelligence - there are different standards,
    i.e., will it help us in a business sense or do we think the target needs to
    be serviced - room to be wrong, and while not indifferent to being wrong,
    that is why we have the term "collateral damage".  Different paradigms.  The
    time criticality mentioned below is very important, especially when reacting
    to Internet threats - your response time is measured in minutes now - search
    on warhol worm.
    Ralph

    Ralph S. Hoefelmeyer, CISSP
    Senior Engineer
    WorldCom GPE
    719.535.4576 Office
    "Security is a process, not a product" Bruce Schneier