Re: Future trends in computer forensics

From: Jason Powell (Jason.Powellat_private)
Date: Fri Oct 18 2002 - 07:19:49 PDT

    Rod,

    I work as a Senior Systems Analyst (IS Security) for a large pediatric
    healthcare facility in a very conservative Midwest city in the US
    (Cincinnati, Ohio). I have been designated as the primary forensic
    examiner for this organization after much self-study (including
    hands-on) and a subtle hint or two to my supervisor.

    Despite technically being a healthcare environment, research is a huge
    portion of our organization's missions, so it's really like working in
    an academic environment. What makes this statement unusual is that
    security (physical and digital) is taken *very* seriously here, and
    we've been able to make inroads that were not possible in other
    organizations I've worked for. My previous experience reflects that
    higher learning institutions here valued academic "freedom" rather than
    prudent security measures and policies, and I think that's still the
    case in this geographic area. Quite a paradox, eh?

    The information security market in Cincinnati seems to be very poor.
    Most of the larger companies based here have only a handful of people
    dedicated to infosec, and I know of nobody else in the private sector
    here doing criminal-grade forensic investigations. Even in the local
    banking industry, budgets do not seem to (or barely) validate the
    organization's stated commitment to information assurance. Medium-sized
    companies here seem to load infosec duties on alread overtaxed network
    admins, and I suspect only those admins who already have an established
    interest in infosec really do an effective job at protecting their
    information resourses.

    I have also heard evidence of "remediate and forget" attitudes here in
    the face of compromises, especially in the banking industry (which I
    would bet is typical world-wide).

    To get back to your original question, I think we are headed for some
    increased forensic emphasis and activity here, even if only in the
    public sector. There is a joint law-enforcement unit (city/county) here
    (see http://www.hcso.org/Divisions/ADM/RECI_wHeader.shtm ), one of only
    three in the State of Ohio. Other area departments rely exclusively on
    RECI for their computer crime investigative needs, and I am not aware of
    any departments in this county (or surrounding counties) who are
    planning to establish any similar unit.

    I personally predict slow, if any, progress in private-sector
    (including healthcare) forensics, at least in my region. I am currently
    working with other infosec professionals to help them develop this
    capability (even as we ourselves crawl and learn to walk). One of my
    goals is to help establish a local HTCIA chapter.

    Bear in mind that I cannot speak from experience regarding other
    regions of the US. Perhaps the forensic landscape differs, but I suspect
    not.

    Regards,

    /sig/
    Jason A. Powell, CISSP
    Senior Systems Analyst

    Children's Hospital Medical Center
    Information Services Security
    (513) 636-1499
    jason.powellat_private

    >>> "Morris, Rod" <Morris.Rodat_private> 10/14/02 09:28AM >>>
    This specific interview aside, I'd be very interested to hear other
    opinions
    on where we're going and what others working in this field think the
    major
    technological challenges and developments are likely to be over the
    next few
    years...

    Kind regards,

    Rod

    ----------------------------------------------------------------- This list is provided by the SecurityFocus ARIS analyzer service. For more information on this free incident handling, management and tracking system please see: http://aris.securityfocus.com