Re: Future trends in computer forensics

From: Eoghan Casey (eoghan.caseyat_private)
Date: Fri Oct 18 2002 - 13:03:01 PDT

    Rod,

    A few thoughts regarding trends.

    As offenders become more familiar with the technology and the associated
    risks, they are exhibiting more concealment behavior. You mentioned the
    use of encryption. Other forms of concealment occur on networks (e.g.,
    Freenet, onion routing) and mobile phones (e.g., prepaid phones,
    destroying SIMs in GSM phones).

    As we become more familiar with embedded systems, forensic examiners
    are using the information they contain. The Netherlands Forensic Institute
    is in your area and is at the forefront in this area and have developed
    several useful tools for processing mobile phones, PDAs, and memory chips.

    As Gary Palmer and James Holley noted, there is an increasing expectation
    that the principles of forensic science be applied in the digital realm.
    In addition to repeatable results and Locard's exchange principle (I can
    verify that this applies in the digital realm), there is an increasing
    demand and associated supply for tools that apply particular techniques
    used in other forensic science disciplines (e.g., temporal, functional,
    and relational reconstructions). As our analysis techniques and tools
    advance, our practices will be come as formalized as other specializations
    such as arson investigation.

    I would be interested to hear your thoughts on this topic after your
    interview - I imagine that the discussion will bring up additionaly
    questions and issues.

    Eoghan