Re: Undelete Tools

From: Seth Arnold (sarnoldat_private)
Date: Sat Oct 19 2002 - 14:05:19 PDT

    On Fri, Oct 18, 2002 at 07:14:09PM +0100, Alan Blackwell wrote:
    > I sometimes need find out when a file or directory on a machine was
    > deleted

    Alan, I would be surprised if the operating system's last act before
    removing a file was to make a note in a no-longer-needed directory
    entry/inode somewhere when the inode/directory entry was destroyed.
    Maybe the "last modifification time" on the directory has that
    information, but in a conglomerate sort of way. (Read: other file
    changes in the directory may make that timestamp not the latest file
    deleted.)

    --
    "A mouse can be just as dangerous as a bullet or a bomb."
    -- US Representative Lamar Smith (R-Texas)