Undelete Tools

From: Alan Blackwell (blackwellalanat_private)
Date: Fri Oct 18 2002 - 11:14:09 PDT

    Hi All,

    I sometimes need find out when a file or directory on a machine was deleted,
    actual recovery of the file is not always necessary. For various reasons the
    time and expense of a proper forensics investigation is not always possible
    or suitable so I am looking for standard undelete tools that can help me.

    So far I have looked at a variety of tools but although a number look good
    none of them seem to tell me when the file was deleted. These have included
    Norton Utilities, File Scavenger, Remote Restore, GetDataBack, Uneraser. The
    Norton tool gives me the deleted time/date but it needs to be running when
    the files are deleted. The other tools give me  created, modified and last
    accessed time/dates depending on the tool but not the deleted time/date.
    Does the modified or last accessed time/date actually list when the file was
    deleted or is this info something else again.

    The kind of tool or tools I am looking for need to work on all types of FAT
    and NTFS file system, run under windows and need to show when the file was
    deleted. Can anyone make any recommendations?

    Thanks.

    Alan