RE: Future trends in computer forensics

From: Douglas K. Fischer (fischerdkat_private)
Date: Tue Oct 22 2002 - 13:37:22 PDT

    At 02:50 PM 10/21/2002, H C wrote:
    >Eoghan,
    >
    > > Here is an example of Locard's exchange principle at
    > > work in the digital realm:
    >
    >Your example was excellent!

    That was a very good example.

    >This is another area that I think needs to be better
    >understood...perhaps the "future trend" could be
    >further discussions and education on both of theses
    >issues.  After all, the way you presented your two
    >examples, it's pretty clear that a failure to
    >understand the exchange principle can lead to an
    >evidence dynamics issue in which valuable
    >corroborating evidence is damaged or destroyed.

    Amen to education. Most sysadmins are not focused on preservation of
    forensics evidence, be it for prosecution purposes or technical
    investigation, but instead on stopping the attack and recovering. It isn't
    until later when someone tries to gather evidence than it's realized that
    the sysadmins' well-intentioned actions rendered much evidence useless.
    Management needs to be aware of this as well, to understand the competing
    interests at work (quick return to service vs preservation of evidence) and
    be able to make an assessment of the tradeoffs needed to best serve the
    business/agency/etc interests.

    Doug

    This email, and any included attachments, have been checked
    by Norton AntiVirus Corporate Edition (Version 7.6), AVG
    Server Edition 6.0, and Merak Email Server Integrated
    Antivirus (Alwil Software's aVast! engine) and is certified
    Virus Free.