RE: Future trends in computer forensics

From: JP Hodgins (cyberhoundat_private)
Date: Wed Oct 23 2002 - 05:51:12 PDT

    At 04:37 PM 10/22/2002 -0400, you wrote:

    >Amen to education. Most sysadmins are not focused on preservation of
    >forensics evidence, be it for prosecution purposes or technical
    >investigation, but instead on stopping the attack and recovering. It isn't
    >until later when someone tries to gather evidence than it's realized that
    >the sysadmins' well-intentioned actions rendered much evidence useless.
    >Management needs to be aware of this as well, to understand the competing
    >interests at work (quick return to service vs preservation of evidence)
    >and be able to make an assessment of the tradeoffs needed to best serve
    >the business/agency/etc interests.

    This is really the difference between Computer Forensics and Incident
    Response.  Computer Forensics must be very detailed in its approach as it
    is primarily interested in prosecution as the final goal.  Incident
    Response on the other hand is primarily interested in restoring the
    business functions of the systems with a secondary function of discovery
    (i.e., finding out where and how the hacker got in).

    It is important that a company develop good Security Policies/Procedures
    that indicate what users are to do upon discovery of an hack and how the
    system administrators are to handle it.  If the goal is to ultimately
    prosecute, then the time taken to secure a solid image and document the
    initial "crime scene" will be part of the Security Policy for the company
    and everyone will be willing to wait out the time it takes to perform these
    initial critical steps.  To expect an administrator (or other knowledgeable
    staff member) to perform these tasks when upper management is "on their
    backs" because the systems are down, is unrealistic.

    One thing about Security Policies though - it is very rare to find a
    company with even a basic one, without seeing a decent job done on issues
    like this.

    Just my $.02 worth based on my own experiences.