Re: Remote Syslogd

From: Ben Boulanger (benat_private)
Date: Tue Oct 29 2002 - 19:12:49 PST

    On Mon, 2002-10-28 at 17:57, cert wrote:
    > If there is too much information, I use higher priority level then .info for
    > kern and syslog facilities.
    I log *.debug remotely and deal with log rotation and disk management on
    that box.  Additionally, set up swatch to key on certain phrases so you
    get paged when you know something isn't right and get email on the
    unknown messages.  You can quickly build a decent list of messages to
    alert on, ignore and email on.

    > Is that a good practice or am I logging garbage ?
    You will likely log garbage, but logging 10 lbs of trash is better than
    trashing 1 oz of important information.

    Ben