Re: Remote Syslogd

From: msconzoat_private
Date: Wed Oct 30 2002 - 08:02:22 PST

    Here is my $0.02.

    I agree with the comments about "it's better to log too much then too
    little."  With that being said, I usually wind up logging everything to a
    remote machine and dealing with the placement/management/auditing of logs
    in a central place (seems to make my life easier).

    If you want to log to a certain directory on the remote host this is done
    via the remote machines syslogd.conf file.

    A quick note from expierence on the logging a lot costs you litte, the
    computer science dept at TAMU does a network security class each year.  A
    sandbox is setup, and there are number of black teams (bad guys) vs. a
    gold team (good guys providing network services on about 8 boxes).  Last
    time I logged a semesters worth of port scanning (via iptables) as well as
    other information from syslog to a remote machine.  I mangaged to get
    about 400MB of logs in 3 months.  *moral* logging is cheap...do it

    you just have to be careful about attacks against the remote logging
    machine...but thats why you back it up :)

    -mike