[woodyat_private: Office XP document numbers can be linked to individual machines]

From: Seth Arnold (sarnoldat_private)
Date: Wed Nov 13 2002 - 22:52:01 PST

    Bugtraq email that seemed on-topic for forensics as well.

    ----- Forwarded message from Woody Leonhard <woodyat_private> -----

    Date: 13 Nov 2002 14:10:47 -0000
    From: Woody Leonhard <woodyat_private>
    To: bugtraqat_private
    Subject: Office XP document numbers can be linked to individual machines

    When you use Outlook 2002 to attach a document, spreadsheet or
    presentation to an email message, Outlook sticks four items in the
    document?s File | Properties | Custom dialog box. They?re called:

    _AdHocReviewCycleID
    _AuthorEmail
    _AuthorEmailDisplayName
    _EmailSubject

    The last three entries are pretty straightforward: Outlook 2002 grabs
    your email address, your name, and the message?s subject, and sticks them
    in the document. (See http://www.woodyswatch.com/office/archtemplate.asp?
    v7-n50 )

    The _AdHocReviewCycleID entry had me stumped until Beth Melton pointed me
    to a footnote on her ?Do You Want to Merge Changes? page at
    http://pubs.logicalexpressions.com/Pub0009/LPMArticle.asp?ID=107 . Here?s
    what?s happening.

    When you attach a document to an email message in Outlook 2002, Outlook
    assigns it a ten-digit number ? let?s call it a document number - then
    updates a file on your PC called AdHoc.rcd with the name of the document,
    its location, and that document number.

    AdHoc.rcd is an old-fashioned .ini file. My copy is stored in
    c:\Documents and Settings\Woody\Application Data\Microsoft\Office.
    AdHoc.rcd appears to store the document numbers and full document path
    for the last 99 documents that were attached to email messages.

    So you send out an Office document, attached to an email message. It?s
    branded by Outlook 2002 with a specific (apparently more or less randomly
    generated) ten digit _AdHocReviewCycleID. The recipient saves the file,
    makes her edits, attaches it to another email message, and shoots it back
    to you. Outlook 2002 is smart enough to NOT overwrite the
    _AdHocReviewCycleID in the document if one is already present, I believe,
    so when you get the document back, the original document number is intact.

    When you open the document in Word, Excel, or PowerPoint ? doesn?t matter
    if you save the document first, and then open it, or if you open it
    directly while you?re looking at the email message ? the application is
    smart enough to look for _AdHocReviewCycleID, look it up in AdHoc.rcd,
    and hit you with the grating message

    ?Do you want to merge changes in ?WOW751.doc? back into ?c:\Documents and
    Settings\Woody\My Documents\SomeFolder\WOW751.doc??
    Yes | No | No, And don?t ask again

    if there?s a match on _AdHocReviewCycleID.

    For example, when I sent the last issue of Woody?s Office Watch to Peter
    Deegan for editing, I used Outlook 2002 to attach it to an email message.
    Outlook created a section that looks like this in my AdHoc.rcd file:

    [1294394770]
    Path=C:\Documents and Settings\Woody\My Documents\WOW\WOW751.doc
    Slot=Doc93

    If I look back at the copy of WOW751.doc that I sent to Peter last week,
    sure enough, the File | Properties | Custom box contains

    _AdHocReviewCycleID  1294394770

    If I open the copy of WOW751.doc that I attached to the message I sent to
    Peter, I get that grating question.

    And that explains why I can send a file to my editor, he can make
    changes ? even change the file name ? and send it back to me, and when I
    open it, Word will still pop up with that grating message.

    This near-unique branding of documents with ten digit numbers leads to
    some interesting questions. For example, if you have a document with a
    specific _AdHocReviewCycleID, can you tell which machine it originated
    on? Granted, you?d have to look at the AdHoc.rcd file on any suspect
    machines. But how is this any better (or worse) than the old Office 97
    document ?unique identifier? problems?

    (If you weren?t around for that controversy several years ago, check out
    http://news.com.com/2100-1001-222876.html?legacy=cnet or
    http://www.byte.com/documents/s=146/byt19990906s0012/index3.htm or
    http://www.woodyswatch.com/office/archtemplate.asp?v4-n12 for a
    description of the way Office 97 would brand documents with a unique
    identifier.)

    More than that, why does Word use these document numbers even when you
    uncheck the Tools | Options | Security | ?Store random number to improve
    merge accuracy? box?

    Or am I missing something?

    ----- End forwarded message -----

    --