RE: unable to mount fs for forensics

From: Susan Chan Lee (susan.leeat_private)
Date: Mon Dec 30 2002 - 02:30:52 PST

    Thanks for all the replies, none of them seemed to work for me though!

    Anyway I got it working using the below commands. BUT my question to the
    forensics guru's is will using the losetup and mke2fs effect the
    integrity of the dd image, I notice the inodes table gets updated... Is
    this a problem? I notice when I do a df -h from the source and
    destination (once mounted) I get different values?

    [root@fanta /root]# losetup /dev/loop0 hda5.bs1024.dd
    [root@fanta /root]# mke2fs /dev/loop0 1024
    mke2fs 1.18, 11-Nov-1999 for EXT2 FS 0.5b, 95/08/09
    Filesystem label=
    OS type: Linux
    Block size=1024 (log=0)
    Fragment size=1024 (log=0)
    128 inodes, 1024 blocks
    51 blocks (4.98%) reserved for the super user
    First data block=1
    1 block group
    8192 blocks per group, 8192 fragments per group
    128 inodes per group

    Writing inode tables: done
    Writing superblocks and filesystem accounting information: done
    [root@fanta /root]# mount -o ro /dev/loop0 /mnt/boot/
    [root@fanta /root]# mount
    /dev/hda5 on / type ext2 (rw)
    none on /proc type proc (rw)
    /dev/hda1 on /boot type ext2 (rw)
    none on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,gid=5,mode=620)
    /dev/loop0 on /mnt/boot type ext2 (ro)
    [root@fanta /root]#