Re: Any Win32 version of "file"?

From: Geoffrey (esotericat_private)
Date: Sun Dec 29 2002 - 17:45:38 PST

    Have you folks looked at uwin from AT&T Labs?  Basically unix tools on
    windows.  Has file and a host of other tools.  Here's a link to the
    utilities list:

    http://www.research.att.com/sw/tools/uwin/man/utilities.html

    Here's the licensing blurb:

    UWIN binaries are available for educational, research, and evaluation
    purposes through this web site. Commercial licenses for UWIN can be
    obtained from Global Technologies Ltd., Inc. or Wipro International.

     From the main page:

    Robert Goto wrote:
    > It depends upon what you are trying to do.  If you are trying to identify
    > file types, a tool which I have looked into and tested is File Investigator
    > by Robware http://www.robware.com/.  There are also a number of other
    > utilities out there which use extension analysis.  File Investigator looks
    > into the file itself and attempts to identify the file.  Also Encase has
    > some functionality with regard to file identification as well.

    Until later: Geoffrey		esotericat_private

    Think about it...