Re: How to DD NTFS?

From: Mark (mark@security-foundation.net)
Date: Thu Jan 02 2003 - 05:54:25 PST

    On Thu, 2 Jan 2003, Susan Chan Lee wrote:

    > Hi - Happy New Year to All.
    >
    > We all know how to dd a Ext2,3 Fat filesystems from Linux, but can
    > anyone advise how to dd a NTFS partition. My question is 2 fold:

    > 3. Any suggestions how to dd NTFS when the system does not have Linux
    > installed, nor do you want to install Linux (or any UNIX for that
    > matter)

    It that type of event I use one of a couple of methods:

    Removable drive bays, they are very handy, however when on IDE channels do
    require a reboot.

    OR, USB/Firewire drive bay support, this (under linux atleast) recognises
    as SCSI and when you have the drive powered on and in, say, an external
    firewire disk caddy, it will be visible in /proc/scsi/scsi. then you can
    treat the disk as a local disk, but without installing anything onto it.
    (and ofcourse mount it ro).

    The firewire method works perfectly for me on a slackware installation,
    with recompied kernel (enabling "prompt for development drivers" so you
    can use firewire) and with ntfs etc enabled for fs-support.

    There is, i believe from previous postings, a windows version of dd, but
    how effective it is I have no idea. Anyone?

    Mark