Re: CRC32 vd MD5

From: Jamie Lawrence (jalat_private)
Date: Sun Jan 05 2003 - 14:14:42 PST

    On Sat, 04 Jan 2003, David Pick wrote:

    > So, a CRC does what it's designed to do well; but it's only designed
    > to check for *accidental* changes to the data. It *is* practical
    > to intentionally modify data protected by a CRC.
    >
    > A cryptographically strong hash functioin like the one used in MD5
    > is far harder to "crack". I can't really comment on just *how*
    > much harder it is because I'm not an expert but all the advice
    > is that it's very much stronger. The hash function is harder to
    > compute (and hence takes more time); the hash value generated is
    > longer so more trials have to be made in a "brute force" attack.

    I agree with David's conclusions all down the line.

    To add a bit about the cost of attacking MD5 in order to modify data
    without detection, I'd only add a few comments.

    There have been recent advances in attacking MD5 which puts long term
    viability in question. However, most of the current public state of the
    art there is theoretical.* Birthday attacks are much more likely than
    in place modification.

    In practical terms, even if someone were to find a set of data that
    matched a given CRC, the result would almost certainly be gibberish
    that would look nothing like a drive image. While cryptographically
    valid, I don't think anyone would believe it was the actual original
    data.

    Assuming that I had a good reason to modify data validated by a CRC32,
    I think I could do so in a day or so of experimentation, if it were a
    largish pile of bytes (I've never tried, but I think it wouldn't be hard).
    Assuming that I needed to do that with an MD5 checksum, I'd start looking
    for ways to leave the country, quickly and quietly.

    -j

    * For recent advances on analysing MD5, Google for +MD5 +attack.
      For more on the properties of MD5, I can't think of a better source
      than Schneier's _Applied Cryptography_, truly one of the best books on
      crypto ever written.

    --
    Jamie Lawrence                                        jalat_private
    "In my little way, I'm sneakily helping people understand a bit more