Re: CRC32 vd MD5

From: Jamie Lawrence (jalat_private)
Date: Mon Jan 06 2003 - 10:59:38 PST

    On Mon, 06 Jan 2003, Wall, Kevin wrote:

    > On Sunday, January 05, 2003, Jamie Lawrence apparently wrote...
    >
    > <...deleted...>
    >
    > > In practical terms, even if someone were to find a set of data that
    > > matched a given CRC, the result would almost certainly be gibberish
    > > that would look nothing like a drive image. While cryptographically
    > > valid, I don't think anyone would believe it was the actual original
    > > data.
    >
    > However, assuming that the CRC applied to the entire drive image,
    > including slack space, etc., explaining away that "gibberish" would be
    > trivial. If it were me, I'd just tweak one or more given slack
    > areas or blocks on the free list to make the CRC come out right.
    > One could easily claim that the resulting gibberish was the result
    > of a previously deleted or overwritten encrypted file, which ought
    > to look random anyway.

    Sorry - I was writing sloppily.

    I meant 'MD5' where I said 'CRC' in the above paragraph.

    Modifiying a drive image in a way that both matches a specific MD5
    checksum is a hard problem, even given evolving weaknesses in the
    algorithm. Doing so in such a way that still yeilds something that looks
    like a drive image, I believe, is a much harder feat, even if you have a
    couple of other potential target 'appearances', such as looking like a CFS
    image or something of that sort.

    Cheers,

    -j

    --
    Jamie Lawrence                                        jalat_private
    "God created the integers, all else is the work of man."