Re: CRC32 vd MD5

From: adminat_private
Date: Wed Jan 15 2003 - 03:03:18 PST

    Firstly, a big (and belated) thank you for all the replies, both on and off list, to my
    original post on this issue.

    From what I gather from these responses, I think my original gut feeling that CRC32 by
    itself was probably not "enough" for forensic purposes seems to be sound. That being
    so, I'm unsure why an experienced team investigating such a high profile case would
    use MD5 only at a later stage in response to opposing counsel's comments (but I don't
    know the full facts of the case so won't comment further).

    Of equal interest, though, has been the broader discussion of the distribution of MD5
    hashes once created, chain of custody procedures and the integrity/credibility of
    forensic professionals. I was particularly interested in one idea concerning the initial
    imaging/hashing of evidence in the presence of the defence/defendant/other party and
    providing the resultant hash to them at this early stage in some kind of secure (digitally
    signed?) form (I guess for this procedure to have any value it becomes crucial to
    establish that the evidence could not have been altered by either side before the
    imaging/hashing process). Nevertheless, is anyone using this type of procedure or are
    the checks and balances of modern criminal systems sufficient to render it
    unnecessary? Equally, are those of us working in the corporate arena satisfied that
    enough is done with regard to establishing the integrity of the evidence we examine or
    produce?

    Jamie

    --
    Jamie Morris