Re: Possible forensic issue with grub and RH8.0

From: Anthony D Cennami (acennamiat_private)
Date: Fri Jan 10 2003 - 18:52:07 PST

    In addition to the other valuable responses to this question, I would
    like to add this:

    You made mention of the possible ramifications and compromise of data
    integrity this may lead to.

    Integrity is of the utmost importance in any investigation, particularly
    on the original evidence.  This is why original evidence, particularly
    harddrives, should _NEVER_ be placed directly into a live machine.  Make
    an initial copy, ideally with a hardware duplication device or dedicated
    application/Boot CD, and store it safely, using the duplicate for any
    investigation.

    In addition to safe storage, it is also advisable, where possible, to
    disable write functions on the drive/peripheral (such as hardware r/o
    jumpers on a harddrive) prior to deploying the device for forensic analysis.

    Regards,

    Anthony