RE: CRC32 vd MD5

From: James.Holleyat_private
Date: Thu Jan 23 2003 - 18:48:44 PST

    Jason said:

    <
    A well-designed stealth rootkit would be certain to interfere with hash
    verification -- returning the expected hashes of compromised files so as
    further reduce the chance of detection.

    This is certainly true when doing analysis on a live system where the
    rootkit is installed and running and can detect when you initiate a call
    to MD5 or SHA-1. But one of the 4 Cardinal Rules of Computer Forensics is
    to never trust the subject operating system. We never know how an OS may
    have been compromised and can not explicitly trust the results of any
    process run using the binaries and memory space on the platform under
    investigation without additional work to independently verify those
    results.

    However, if you have an image of the system and are analyzing the image on
    another system, of course the rootkit is not "up and running" and has no
    way to interfere with a call to MD5 or SHA-1.

    When I do a training class for entry level students, I show them how I
    have modified IO.SYS on a DOS machine to delete files when the student
    issues the "DIR" command on the compromised system. But "DIR" on our
    forensics machine behaves as it is supposed to. The demonstration is
    fairly simple and intended only to relay a concept - Never Trust the
    Subject OS. For the advanced class, we go over details of the startup
    scripts on our Linux box to show them how to configure a forensics
    platform and why certain things should be done and certain other things
    should not be done on boot up. You must control your forensic environment.

    Just as a reminder, the 4 Cardinal Rules are

            1) Never mishandle evidence
            2) Never trust the subject operating system
            3) Never work on the original evidence
            4) Document everything

    As long as you are not violating one of these rules, then the specific way
    you proceed to investigate something can be tailored to the circumstances
    and based on your own training and experience. But violating one of these
    can compromise your investigation or your evidence.

    James
    ===============================

    James O. Holley
    Ernst & Young
    Litigation Advisory Services &
    Computer Forensic Services
    http://litigation.ey.com

    Office:   703.747.1059
    Fax:       703.747.0104
    Lab:       703.747.0253
    Pager:    888.620.5275
    Pager email: 6205275 "AT" skytel.com

    The information contained in this message may be privileged and confidential and protected from disclosure.  If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, or an employee or agent responsible for delivering this message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by replying to the message and deleting it from your computer.  Thank you.  Ernst & Young LLP