CRC32 vd MD5

From: adminat_private
Date: Thu Jan 02 2003 - 11:58:12 PST

    Hi everyone,

    Firstly, a very happy new year to all!

    I'm no expert on hashing/error checking algorithms I'm afraid so please forgive me if the
    following is somewhat obvious...

    In the following two pdf files:

    http://notablecases.vaed.uscourts.gov/1:01-cr-00455/docs/68089/0.pdf
    http://notablecases.vaed.uscourts.gov/1:01-cr-00455/docs/68092/0.pdf

    related to the case of USA vs Zacarias Moussaoui, there is some discussion of the use
    of CRC32 instead of MD5 to provide verification that a hard disk has been imaged
    correctly. In this particular case the later use of MD5 would seem to confirm the accurate
    imaging of the disks in question but in general does the use of CRC32 during (and after)
    the imaging process really make any further checking with MD5 redundant?

    Furthermore, would it be realistically possible to change data in an image whose
    authenticity is based solely on CRC32 value(s) without changing the values in question,
    and thereby arousing suspicion?

    Kind regards,

    Jamie

    --