Re: Identifying Win2K/XP Encrypted Files

From: Nexus (nexusat_private-way.co.uk)
Date: Thu Jan 30 2003 - 05:45:44 PST

    ----- Original Message -----
    From: "Craig Earnshaw" <Craig.Earnshawat_private>
    To: "Christopher Howell" <howellcat_private>
    Cc: <forensicsat_private>
    Sent: Thursday, January 30, 2003 1:13 PM
    Subject: Re: Identifying Win2K/XP Encrypted Files

    > I would actually suggest a different method.  If you are tasked to seize
    > a machine you should do ABSOLUTELY NOTHING with it, apart from pulling
    > the plug out of the wall if it's up and running.  Any actions that you
    > perform on the machine could potentially destroy evidence and
    > subsequently be used to suggest that you have tampered with the evidence.

    Has anyone found that this has a detrimental effect on the filesystem ?
    Obviously it's better than shutting the box down as something may be
    watching for that I know, just curious if the suituation has occured that
    the filesystem was damaged to the extent that the forensics analysis was
    hindered ?

    Cheers.