Re: IDS and forensics

From: Dragos Ruiu (drat_private)
Date: Thu Jan 30 2003 - 02:10:32 PST

    On January 27, 2003 03:11 pm, William Sykes wrote:
    > I know it is not best practice to try to sell anything on this list but
    > our product does what you are looking for.  The DeepNines FCS Capture
    > has the ability to capture every packet both ingress and egress. It logs
    > them all to an Oracle database for forensic mining. The FCS Tool allows
    > you to query any packet in the database based on many different
    > criteria.(time stamp, mac header, source ip, dest ip, source port, dest
    > port..action , direction etc...) This is a brand new feature so I would
    > like to get some feedback from you all as to what administrators might
    > think would be valuable info / practices for such a tool.

    <chuckle>

    I guess I had better not be sending or receiving more than about a
    thousand packets per second then if I want to do any "forensic mining"
    without losing data. :-)

    Well, maybe two if I shell out for a really expensive DB machine. :-) :-) :-P

    I'm not knocking Oracle, it really is one of the finest SQL databases
    out there.... but wiring your NIC capture straight to Oracle is a bad idea.
    That 's why people started using IDSes....

    cheers,
    --dr

    --
    drat_private   pgp: http://dragos.com/ kyxpgp