RE: IDS and forensics

From: William Sykes (wsykesat_private)
Date: Mon Jan 27 2003 - 07:11:15 PST

    I know it is not best practice to try to sell anything on this list but
    our product does what you are looking for.  The DeepNines FCS Capture
    has the ability to capture every packet both ingress and egress. It logs
    them all to an Oracle database for forensic mining. The FCS Tool allows
    you to query any packet in the database based on many different
    criteria.(time stamp, mac header, source ip, dest ip, source port, dest
    port..action , direction etc...) This is a brand new feature so I would
    like to get some feedback from you all as to what administrators might
    think would be valuable info / practices for such a tool.

    The data capture was originally designed to compliment the Sleuth9
    Intrusion Prevention System. The Sleuth9 sits inline  in front of the
    router. The FCS was to capture the attacks that Sleuth9 was mitigating,
    but we found that alot of people simply wanted to capture all of the
    data.

    There is not alot of data regarding this FCS mining Tool on our site,
    but I would be glad to entertain any questions or suggestions.

    -William